In this blog, a Danbury criminal defense attorney explains why his or her immediate objective is to secure your release.
For you, the advantage of your Danbury criminal defense lawyer’s success is self-evident. You’re out of jail. This also assists your attorney in his or her efforts to work for you.
Disadvantages: Plea Bargaining
This cannot be accomplished as successfully while you are in jail as it can if you are free. If your time served is close to the sentence likely to be imposed, you have less leverage available to you than you might otherwise.
Your remaining in jail further interferes with your attorney’s ability to meet with you on a regular basis, thus reducing his or her ability to work efficiently in your behalf because:
- There is little opportunity in jail for confidential conversations, and your consultations could be overheard;
- Travel and waiting times amount to time wasted that could better be applied to more productive pursuits for you;
- The review of documents, video and audio tapes and other materials becomes problematic when you and your attorney must do so in a jail setting, but there may be no alternative if your release is not secured;
- You are limited in your ability to telephone your lawyer; and
- Anything you say may be overheard and repeated to your detriment, often due to the aforementioned lack of privacy. If the other inmates hear you say something inadvertently that can be used against you, they may be tempted to turn state’s evidence in order to secure their own release.
If You Are Free
Once released, these problems disappear and you are free to work with your attorney without restrictions beyond the conditions of your bail.
Your Time Is Precious
If you are in a situation like the above, don’t wait. Contact your Danbury criminal defense attorney by calling Walter Shalvoy at 203-426-4409 without further loss of time.